Thursday, November 20, 2014

Tech in My Placement- Lincoln High School



When I first arrived at Lincoln High School I was excited to hear that a new grant proposal had made sure every classroom had a SmartBoard. Since I have never used a SmartBoard, I found this tool to be very interesting and most of all useful in my own teaching at Lincoln. When we were first told about the "Tech in My Placement" assignment, I am not shy to admit that I thought our school would bomb the worksheet and not have as many of the tools listed. To my surprise, we did have a lot of what the sheet asked for, and more suprisingly I learned about tools that I had never heard of before. This was eyeopening to me as a new teacher and quite frankly something that I am glad I realized. Unfortunately, despite being able to "fill in" many of the options on the assignment sheet, the school itself does not have wide access to WiFi. The only computers that have internet are the teachers and although they do have WiFi available, it is not open to the school or students to use, which I found frustrating. I see part of the reason why they decided to do so, but I also believe that this lack of access can be limiting to the student and the classroom, especially if a student does not have internet access at home or on their cell phone. I think that this is impart due to not wanting students to be off track, and because attitudes towards technology inclusion is not common in our school. 

I believe other schools do promote technology more than our school does. Our students are constantly being told to put their cell phones away. Cell phones are a huge issue in our school. Because of this I believe that as a new teacher I can have the flexibility to include technology in my classroom and to use this to my advantage.

No comments:

Post a Comment