Thursday, November 20, 2014

Langwitches Silvia the EduBlogger

 Langwitches Blog


I recently read a blog post on Silvia Rosenthal Tolisano's website about exposing students to a more "explorative" (don't know if that is a word) classroom pedagogy. In one of her blog posts that I responded to called: Global Pedagogy in the World Language Classroom, Silvia talked about the importance of exposing students to a curriculum that had variety in teaching language and that exposed students to outside resources that developed students oral proficiency skills. I found this post interesting because as a new Spanish teacher the most difficult task is giving students different outlets to practice the Spanish language outside of the classroom.

Often times, students in our classroom take the foreign language because it is a requirement for high school, this gives the classroom a very different feel compared to students who genuinely want to be there. Because of this it is important that language teachers learn new ways to engage the classroom, which can be very difficult when school policies and administration keeps your students from engaging with the language in an innovative way. I found this to be the case when I was in high school. Many of my teachers thought of ways to teach and engage students with science, math, and English topics but were restricted by funding and by policy. This can be detrimental to a language classroom that relies so much on community connection and practice of the language. I believe the first step to making this an important issue is trying to convince others of it's importance. In order to do this, we must show others how useful community involvement and connection with culture can be in teaching students. In my case, my entire upbringing with the language was very influenced by these factors, because of it I have a passion for the language and culture that I cannot replicate with any other form of education. I want to provide my students with this opportunity as well.

Below is a link to a a YouTube video that is a great example of what I would like to show my students. The video talks about Manuel Recio and his wife, Leslie Lukas-Recio who take over a family farm and take their love for Spanish culture and their love of food to become farmers. They grow many Spanish foods in their farm and discuss how they use that food afterwards. This is a great example of where I would take my students. I would use this as an opportunity to show my students Spanish culture and how that can be seen agriculturally. This is an education platform that involves students with both culture and life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=H9hD1acIId8

No comments:

Post a Comment